Thomas Dennis has won West End Frame's Understudy of the Year 2016 for alternating the role of Christopher Boone in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Natasha Barnes finishes second for alternating the role of Fanny Brice in Funny Girl whilst Robbie White finishes third for understudying Ray, Dave, Pete and Mick in Sunny Afternoon.
Last year's Understudy of the Year Award was won by Jacqueline Hughes for standing by as Elphaba in Wicked. Zoë Birkett (alternate Rachel/The Bodyguard) finished second whilst Ryan O'Donnell (understudy Ray Davies/Sunny Afternoon) finished third. All three have since gone on to play their respective roles full-time.
Alternate Christopher Boone
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
19% of the final vote
"Christopher would say 'It's the best result' - I would say this is just awesome! To see that five years on, Christopher is still helping audiences 'see the world differently' is a testament to the power of theatre.
"I would like to say a herculean thank you to everyone who has supported me by voting. It is humbling to know that my performance of this amazing young man and his journey is recognised in such a way. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time demands a tight knit ensemble and I feel very blessed to be working with this cast and crew who share the same commitment to Christopher's Journey as I do. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"
Alternate Fanny Brice
16% of the final vote
Understudy Ray, Dave, Pete & Mick
Kane Oliver Parry
Understudy Warren Slax & Mitch
Understudy Elder Price
The Book of Mormon
The Rocky Horror Show
Understudy Miss Trunchbull
Standby Norma Desmond
Understudy Magnolia Hawks
Alternate Christine Daaé
The Phantom of the Opera
Standby Genie & Babkak
Understudy Usnavi, Piragua Guy & Kevin
In The Heights
Understudy Diana Ross
Motown The Musical
18th - 35th Place
- Adam Boakes – Understudy Robert – The Play That Goes Wrong
- Adam Collier – Understudy Jim & Peter – The Railway Children
- Andy Mace – Standby Scar & Pumbaa – The Lion King
- Billy Cullum – Understudy Jesus – Jesus Christ Superstar
- Carole Stennett – Alternate Rachel Marron – The Bodyguard
- Cellen Chugg Jones – Understudy Tunny & Will – American Idiot
- Dale Evans – Understudy Frank Schultz – Show Boat
- Dayle Hodge – Alternate Frankie Valli - Jersey Boys
- Jocasta Almgill – Understudy Camila, Daniela & Vanessa – In The Heights
- Johnathan Tweedie – Understudy Mr Salt & Jerry – Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Jonathan Stewart – Understudy Sky Masterson – Guys and Dolls
- Jonny McPherson – Understudy Jack – The End of Longing
- Matt Nalton – Understudy Gerry Goffin – Beautiful
- Oliver Lidert – Standby Genie & Babkak – Aladdin
- Ross Dawes – Understudy Willy Wonka – Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Sorelle Marsh – Alternate Donna Sheridan – Mamma Mia
- Tom Hanson – Understudy Romeo – Romeo and Juliet
- Tosh Wanogho-Maud – Understudy Joe – Show Boat
Congratulations to all our incredible nominees, and thank you to everyone for your support!
Previous winners also include Carolyn Maitland (understudy Ellen/Miss Saigon), Ashley Day (understudy Elder Price/The Book of Mormon) and Katy Treharne (alternate Christine/The Phantom of the Opera).
Understudy of the Year runs as part of the 2016 West End Frame Awards. Unlike other theatre awards, West End Frame only opens voting for one category at a time and combines male and female actors from new and long-running productions into the same categories (where applicable). The 2016 West End Frame Awards began in June with Rachelle Ann Go winning Best Performance of a Song for her rendition of 'I Dreamed A Dream' in Les Miserables.